- Konqueror 1.9.8
- Amaya 4.0
- Netscape 4.73
- Mozilla M18
- Opera 4.0b2
I have problems browsing PerlMonks with all
of these. As mentioned in the original post it is not possible to login using Amaya. The other three browsers will not successfully complete downloading the Newest Nodes page when there is more than ~100k of data to download. I don't really understand it, if anyone can shed any light on the problem I would appreciate it. All five (Konqueror, Netscape, Mozilla, Opera, Amaya) react a little differently but the end result is that they either render part of the newest nodes page or they don't render anything at all. Operating system is Debian GNU/Linux
with a 2.2.17 kernel and a mixture of package, mostly up to date.
- Konqueror gives an error dialog: Connection to host www.perlmonks.com is broken, and doesn't render anything. My guess is that is fills a buffer or somehow realises that it won't be able to render the full page and decides not to render anything at all.
- Netscape connects, shows the ad, graphics, search bar, links to the various PerlMonks sections and the Newest Nodes title and then nothing. It stops downloading at around 150K and View-->Page Source shows the last text as: "&lastnode_id=3628">(tye)RE: my and".
- Amaya shows most of what should be shown on the Newest Nodes page but the indentation is haphazard and looks poor to say the least. However, this is not a fair test because since I can't log in using Amaya it is showing the previous days nodes not the previous four or five days as it would if I was logged in so who knows how it would behave in that situation.
- Opera actually renders most of the page but not quite everything. It stops somewhere during the New Notes section and doesn't show the Newest Users section at all. This seems to be due to the amount of data as with the other browsers. Using View Source to try and see where it stopped is not helping because it starts up an application called xedit which does not have scrollbars so I have not been able to see what the last piece of markup is.
- Mozilla doesn't show the Newest Nodes page at all and doesn't give an error message either. The background just greys out and hangs there. However, it outputs a message to the xterm it was started from saying that the document has been downloaded successfully.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
Outside of code tags, you may need to use entities for some characters:
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||