Beefy Boxes and Bandwidth Generously Provided by pair Networks
Perl-Sensitive Sunglasses

Comment on

( #3333=superdoc: print w/replies, xml ) Need Help??
There is much, much more that went into my opinion than I said here. A lot of it I can't say, because it is based on private and/or privileged conversations that it would be wrong to repeat.

Basically for me the Python episode was the final piece of many that convinced me that a project that I'd long wondered about, was going to fail.

Parrot is supposed to provide a common base for everything that you'd want in a high-level scripting language so that you could implement a bunch of them and make them transparently interoperable. Which meant that it was supposed to be designed to meet all of their needs. And Parrot is critical to the Perl 6 plans, because that interoperability between Perl 5 and Perl 6 is the upgrade path that people are supposed to use.

Python makes a pretty good litmus test for this goal. Python is exactly the kind of high-level language that is supposed to run well on Parrot. Python was half of the original inspiration for Parrot. Python actually has multiple implementations, so the people trying to implement that on Parrot have plenty of prior art to look at. You aren't going to get an easier realistic test case in its target domain of languages.

Well Parrot failed to do that. And it looks like it will never do that. Which doesn't bode well when you go to try to implement more difficult languages, like Perl 5 and Perl 6 on the same base.

And if you come back and point me at Ponie, I'll be willing to bet you $100 that there won't be a stable version of Ponie on Parrot before 2010. (I say 2010 because I have to collect my money sometime...) Perl 6 I won't bet on - Pugs can target virtually anything. Heck they even target JavaScript. In fact looking at I just noticed the pX subproject, that targets Perl 5's VM. Get that working well, and you've just solved 90% of the reason for having something like Parrot. (Inline::* addresses the other 10% to my satisfaction.)

In reply to Re^3: Why Perl 6 is taking so !@#$ long by tilly
in thread Why Perl 6 is taking so !@#$ long by dragonchild

Use:  <p> text here (a paragraph) </p>
and:  <code> code here </code>
to format your post; it's "PerlMonks-approved HTML":

  • Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
  • Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
  • Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
  • Please read these before you post! —
  • Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
    a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
  • You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
            For:     Use:
    & &amp;
    < &lt;
    > &gt;
    [ &#91;
    ] &#93;
  • Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
  • See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
  • Log In?

    What's my password?
    Create A New User
    and all is quiet...

    How do I use this? | Other CB clients
    Other Users?
    Others examining the Monastery: (3)
    As of 2018-04-24 07:33 GMT
    Find Nodes?
      Voting Booth?