My list of confessions probably is incomplete and will probably continue to grow. These are my Monastery related transgressions that I can remember:
- I have cast votes just to gain XP
- I have cast votes (up & down) based on author not content
- I have updated my own nodes without annotation when I realized they were wrong
- I have unfairly judged others based on influence from others rather than direct interaction
- I have regretted posting a node I knew would get a lot of XP on days with low activity on the site
- I have downvoted posts by an author based on things said in the CB and not based on content
- I have monitored Saints in our Book to see how well I stacked up
- I have only skim read posts when I assumed the author was wrong instead of giving the benefit of the doubt
- I have recorded my XP achievements on my homenode
- Lately I only give time to fun, interesting, or challenging posts and ignore others
- Once, early on, I posted anonymous intentionally because I didn't want the downvotes I was sure it would get (it didn't)
- I have been extremely frustrated by lack of attention to a reply because of where or when in the thread it appeared
- As a result, I have intentionally replied to a node near the top of the thread so it would be seen
- Also as a result, I have mentioned the node in the CB to draw attention to it
- I have enjoyed getting upvotes based on the fact that "I posted it" rather than on content
- I have kept a running count of how many posts of mine have > 100 XP
- I have inconsistently been hard on authors for not doing more themselves
- I have neglected family while I worked on something here
- I have neglected work while I worked on something here
- Voted on nodes to find out their reputation
- Voted on author's highest rank node to see if it was higher than my own
- I have been upset when a node of mine I felt should be frontpaged wasn't
- I have refused to become a devil
- I have sometimes assumed I was more adept at Perl based off relative XP
- I have withheld some info when posting because I believed I wouldn't be helped otherwise
- I have been a jerk for reasons unrelated to matters being discussed in the CB
- I have tried to be the first to reply to a node I knew was going to get good XP
- I have replied to nodes without fully reading them and complained when others have done the same to my own
- I have assumed my code was better than someone else's without having tested it
- I have voted on a node referenced in the CB without considering the context of the entire thread
- To be continued...
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||