This is a really, really nice summary of helpful stuff people should know. I have a few specific thoughts which may or may not be of use:
- There's probably a middle ground between a strong warning against "rent-a-coder" type questions and having nothing at all in there. Something like...
As with any online community, personalities vary. You'll usually get more, more effective help if it's clear that you've made a good faith attempt to do things yourself, and are stuck on a specific aspect of your problem, than if your question is very general or appears to require a lot more work on others' part than on yours.
- It might be worth explicitly mentioning thanking people if you get help in the CB. That probably is covered by "be polite", though.
- You could clarify the "first error is usually the most important" by adding a sentence explaining that often, subsequent errors are the result of the first one.
- Explaining how to put code in the scratchpad wouldn't hurt either--sometimes the question is simple, but it requires more code than fits comfortably in the CB.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||