You have access to:
- One network connected laptop, running an OS of your choice, Perl 5.6.1, and whatever you care to download and install.
- One WebCam, with a 25' cable.
- The following parts from an X10 Home Automation Kit:
- PC Interface
- 2 Appliance modules
- 2 Motion detectors
- An aquarium pump with 25' of tubing.
- Whatever you can scrounge from your kitchen right now, including appliances (honor system applies)
- A tennis ball and 25 feet of twine.
- 2 1' Bungie cords
- One roll of Duct tape
You have 1
day to construct a device to delight and amuse us (or any housepets you might have).
Judges are standing by to hear your device explained. Source code is not required. Votes will be alloted according to the whims of the studio audience.
bob so how do we hook up the X-10 stuff to Perl?
dave there were two articles in TPJ a while back...
bob yeah, but they're not online right now.
dave drat. well, there's the MisterHouse stuff. we can probably lift some working Perl code from there.
bob good idea. the stuff we need should be out on CPAN. i'll start installing while you check the kitchen for interesting appliances.
dave hm.. crock pot, carving knive, blender, ...
bob blender? that gives me an idea. i wonder if this laptop has a microphone.
dave ... microwave oven
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||