I had some fun with this. My shortest fully-functional attempt is this 60-character
with these features:
- Handles multiple consonants at start of word (and handles 'qu' correctly)
- Correctly handles y-related idiosyncrasies: yummy becomes ummyyay, but yttrium
becomes yttriumway and rhythm becomes ythmrhay
- Handles numbers correctly (42 doesn't become 42ay)
- Counts apostrophe as part of word, so "don't" becomes "on'tday"
(and handles other punctuation correctly)
Note that if we ignore two words (yttrium and ytterbium), we can safely bring it
down to 52 chars:
And if we decide to switch to the dialect of pig latin that doesn't add 'w' on
vowel-words, it's down to 44:
If I combine that with perlmonkey's attempt (losing a bit of functionality
in the process, although it still works pretty well) I can reach 36:
Also note that my (un-golfed) attempt at a pig latin converter in Visual
Basic took up almost 3500 characters (!) without handling nearly all of the
exceptions mentioned here. This is (one of the many reasons) why I love Perl!
Thanks to everyone for their previous attempts, which helped me quite a bit. Comments are welcome.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||