IntelliJ IDEA for Perl !! Try it, use it, BE HAPPY !!
5 direct replies — Read more / Contribute
on Oct 14, 2021 at 13:05
Hi there! ye fellow monks.
Just writing to report that I've been trying out and actually using IntelliJ IDEA Community for Perl on a daily basis and it works AMAZINGLY WELL!!!
I am so happy, that if JetBrains would charge to commercially support it, I would actually upgrade to IJ Pro. It's THAT good, IMHO.
A HUGE shoutout and THANK YOU to Alexandr Evstigneev!! (Apparently hurricup here on PM).
Here's the plugin page: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/7796-perl
Also, a thank you to JetBrains for such a great IDE (I use it in my day job every day for years now).
Features I like so far:
- Good and smart syntax highlighting
- Refactor/renaming stuff
- Running a script inside the IDE console
- Debugging with point and click breakpoints, watchers, evaluations (basically all you have in Java)
- Jumping to implementation (i.e. Goto -> declaration/implementation actually works and drills into modules, etc.)
- Find in path is a great IJ feature and works nicely with Perl code
- Specific support for: mason, TT2, Mojolicious, and embedded Perl (I haven't tested all of these)
BTW, It may seem/feel ironic that a Java IDE is probably the best tool for Perl in 2021, and painful that we can't get our crap together with Padre, but hell, anything that helps Perl adoption is good in my book. Yeah, even if it's written in Java. Besides, many people currently making a living in the JDK ecosystem, could quickly try and adopt things like Mojo or Dancer if you can integrate seamlessly into their workflow so it's a win, win, win for everyone.