|Just another Perl shrine|
Re^3: Alternative to CGI.pmby kbrannen (Beadle)
|on Mar 24, 2017 at 22:51 UTC||Need Help??|
If the PSGI frameworks work for you and speed you up, that's really great and I'm happy it's a positive there.
For us here, no one really knows Mojolicious, so it's a struggle to work on it when something goes wrong. Yes, we could invest the time to learn it, but it's only like 3% of our code and we have so many other important things to do.
When we do have to work on the code, we find it hard to figure where/when things are happening or how it gets called. There appears to be a lot of "black magic". Now, if we understood the framework, it probably wouldn't be considered magic, but as it is, it looks like subs get called for no reason we can discern.
I don't particularly like all the code that gets pulled in because of the framework, as in many thousands of lines in extra modules no one else uses, plus an extra service (I guess you'd call it): morbo. This appears to be a problem only because our entire app isn't written with Mojo. If it was, I probably wouldn't complain about it because it'd be used for everything. But when only a tiny amount of our app uses it, it seems like a large overhead.
Mojo forces another templating system on us; we normally use Template Toolkit. OK, Mojo's templates aren't not overly hard to understand and there are even a few cool things about them, but the problem is that it's yet another exception to the rest of our code base.
There are probably a few other issues, but those are the main ones. Sure, some of this you can throw into the category of "you don't like it because it's different" and I'll even agree. But a large part of my problem with Mojo is that I can't see the benefit the framework is supposed to give me ... the small examples in the tutorials don't strike me as "wow, that'd be so helpful". Maybe I haven't found the right tutorials. (shrug) It might be great tech, but I just haven't seen why. I'm open to understanding if someone can explain it.
If you're wondering how did that bit of Mojo code get here, the answer is someone wrote it as a proof of concept and then checked it in just before he left for another job. At the time there were no controls in place to prevent that like there is now. It was also from before I started working here.