I just read at slashdot Advice You Would Give to Your 12 Year-Old Self?
Many of us program in perl from many years. What advice you may have given to your beginner self about perl ? Keep in mind that this would be exteremly useful to the users who have not covered as many miles as you have.
My Advice would have been to my self:
- Learn Emacs and use perl with emacs
- Concentrate on software engineering and methodology
- Plan projects on paper first
- Practice writing documentation
- use Modules
- use OO
- Make use of data structures efficienty.
- Keep an eye on different programming practices
- Learn not only 'how' but also ask 'why' for programming.
- Keep in touch with people who are going to use my program.