You didn't note why running a non-default perl with Debian was a problem that I noticed. The reasons are two simple facts that merge to somthing annoying. The first is that key parts of Debian's infrastructure are written in perl. The second is that perl 5.8.0 (IIRC) makes changes to the meaning of v5 => 'yadda'. Combine these, and you get a dpkg that no longer works, and thus a system that is quite screwed, until you either revert your perl, or fix the incompatable bits of script.
Warning: Unless otherwise stated, code is untested. Do not use without understanding. Code is posted in the hopes it is useful, but without warranty. All copyrights are relinquished into the public domain unless otherwise stated. I am not an angel. I am capable of error, and err on a fairly regular basis. If I made a mistake, please let me know (such as by replying to this node).