The big problem is Perl has gotten so identified with CGI. In fact it is used for many different things other than CGI. The last 5 things I did with Perl were:
- Convert a romanized representation of Sanskrit text to UTF-8.
- Talk to an XML-RPC based web service.
- Build a search engine for mail boxes.
- Convert documents in a proprietary format into DocBook XML spell checking them along the way.
- Write a version of the classic game 'trek'.
Only 3 involved CGI and that will probably move to modperl soon. Yet Perl eq CGI is indelibly locked-in to many peoples minds :(
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||