What do you mean suit doesn't matter? In cribbage, you get 4 points if all 4 cards in your hand are the same suit. If you want to prove that no hand with a 5 isn't worth at least 2 points you HAVE to consider suits. You can easily use Re: Iterating over combinations
to generate the hands. The hard part is the scoring.
On the other hand, it is a lot easier to prove that there is a hand of 5 cards containing at least 1 five that is a total of less than 2 points.
- 4 cards (your hand) must not all be of the same suit
- Must not contain any cards with a value of 10
- Must not containing any combination (excluding the 5) whose sum is 10
- Must not contain any 2, 3, or 4 of a kind
- Must not have any sequence of greater than 2
I don't have an implementation yet, but it certainly does reduce the problem set.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||