Beefy Boxes and Bandwidth Generously Provided by pair Networks
P is for Practical

comment on

( #3333=superdoc: print w/replies, xml ) Need Help??

I'm not a consultant, but I have looked into it, and do have a few friends and family members who have formed corporations.

If I were going to do any work for pay for someone else, outside of an employee/employer relationship, I would definitely want a corporation to protect me from liability. Any tax or other benefits would just be gravy.

Most of my friends and relatives have formed S Corporations. I've also see the term LLC, but S-Corp seems to be the overwhelmingly popular choice from what I've seen.

As for salary, my father (a consultant after dissolving his software company) always paid himself a small salary, had the corporation pay for everything that could be validly considered a 'perk' or legitimate expense, and got the rest of the money he made through the corp . . . Through some other means; sorry I can't give you more info or details there

Everyone I know has a lawyer and an accountant to keep them straight with Johnny Law. It's expensive, but an hour of a lawyer's time costs less than hiring one for a tax fraud trial. I think the states and the IRS are lenient and good about payment plans and such if you're a small business owner or consultant who, without malice, made a legitimate mistake, but I'd still want a professional to make sure I did everything by the book.

Everyone I know has an accountant, but they do more than one or two gigs per year. I'm nor sure if it would be easier for a DIY tax preparer to do their own taxes if they only did a few jobs per year. But I would want the accountant to make sure you understood all the laws and regulations. Heck, I have a very simple tax situation and I still get confused sometimes when I try to itemize.

EDIT: The SBA might be of help, as well. See if these pages help:

In reply to Re: Should a consultant incorporate (and how)? by eighty-one
in thread Should a consultant incorporate (and how)? by apl

Use:  <p> text here (a paragraph) </p>
and:  <code> code here </code>
to format your post; it's "PerlMonks-approved HTML":

  • Are you posting in the right place? Check out Where do I post X? to know for sure.
  • Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags. Currently these include the following:
    <code> <a> <b> <big> <blockquote> <br /> <dd> <dl> <dt> <em> <font> <h1> <h2> <h3> <h4> <h5> <h6> <hr /> <i> <li> <nbsp> <ol> <p> <small> <strike> <strong> <sub> <sup> <table> <td> <th> <tr> <tt> <u> <ul>
  • Snippets of code should be wrapped in <code> tags not <pre> tags. In fact, <pre> tags should generally be avoided. If they must be used, extreme care should be taken to ensure that their contents do not have long lines (<70 chars), in order to prevent horizontal scrolling (and possible janitor intervention).
  • Want more info? How to link or or How to display code and escape characters are good places to start.
Log In?

What's my password?
Create A New User
and the web crawler heard nothing...

How do I use this? | Other CB clients
Other Users?
Others browsing the Monastery: (6)
As of 2021-06-22 11:08 GMT
Find Nodes?
    Voting Booth?
    What does the "s" stand for in "perls"? (Whence perls)

    Results (104 votes). Check out past polls.