|Perl Monk, Perl Meditation|
Re: Module::Build and the PPMby kwilliams (Sexton)
|on May 19, 2004 at 22:52 UTC||Need Help??|
I don't generally read PerlMonks (though I wish I had time to), but I heard about this particular thread so I checked it out. I have the following comments:
1) If Module::Build creates PPMs in some non-good way, please let us know on the Module::Build list so we can fix it. I'm not likely to find bugs in the process myself, since I don't use PPM.
2) The fact that Module::Build creates PPMs doesn't mean that people have to upload them to CPAN. That's a seperate issue. People have been uploading PPMs to CPAN before M::B existed, and they will continue to do so. Personally I don't see the need to put them on CPAN, but it's not for me or Module::Build to say.
3) I try to never "ignore" anyone's bug reports. If I seem to be ignoring something, send a message to the list in order to get back on our radar. There are a lot of concurrent issues in M::B and some of them are simmering on the back burner in deference to more pressing stuff.
4) My overarching project philosophy is that M::B is simply an alternative to MakeMaker, and if it doesn't look *better* than MakeMaker for your needs, then you don't have to use it. Many modules don't really need the extra power that M::B provides.
5) The issue of compatibility with CPAN.pm is something we're working on improving, and if I may say so myself, it's getting pretty good. I have no interest in subverting MakeMaker. I do have an interest in providing an alternative that's so much better that many people want to use it.
Note that you can send a message to the list even if you're not subscribed, I'll eventually approve your message.
Please remember that this is an open-source project, it doesn't descend in complete form from the heavens. Yeah, there are bound to be things that we didn't think through as thoroughly as you might wish, but on the whole I think the project has been very successful so far, and seems to have the capability to grow quite a bit more. And I have fun working on it, so I'm going to continue to do so.