Hi pg and other fellow monks,
Again as a representative/part of testing community I welcome your discussion on a topic which needs to be raised almost everywhere in this world who have employed testing proffesionals.
After being in testing for 2 and a half years I feel very few people have a clear concept of what testing is.
I have never crossed India so my comments would be based on what I have seen in Bangalore.
1) Most of the people here will ask you "what tools you know?" if you
+say you are a tester and not given a product how will you test someth
2) Most of the people here are confused with the testing terminology.
+Regression testing which basically is a selective re-testing is misun
+derstood as executing all the cases.
3) Many of the people I know put fake experience and enter MNC's there
+by decreasing the quality of the product.
4) There are more Testing Institutes than S/w companies in India which
+ teaches Testing tools and claim as testing course.
5) Some companies make the developers to do system testing apart from
+unit testing for lack of funds to hire a Testing guy.
6) Even MNC's are not clear about the position they offer .. Some comp
+anies are confused between QA and Testing.
7) A QA engineer does testing in the current company and sometimes Tes
+ting people are asked to look at the process which is a QA role.
8) If you join some indian students yahoo groups most of them would ha
+ve a query from 10% of the people of the group asking whether to join
+ a testing course and the money they will get back.
9) Testing is more of an attitude game and not a profession either.
10) Every company should spend a day or two testing the products for t
+hose scenarios which dont appear in the test plan/cases before User A
11) Rarely you can find a good quality tester in India because every t
+ester wants to go to development feeling there is more money there an
+d more travel opportunity.
12)I have seen many people skip cases. What is the use of writing a ca
+se when people testing it skip.
13) I have also noticed people writing duplicated test case.
14) Test data is another important aspect in testing which most of the
+ companies constrain themselves if it costs a few $.
15) When the devoid testers become leads/mananger their management pri
+nicples contribute to the degradation of the quality.
16) Testers here are rarely allowed to undergo the training what the d
+eveloper undergoes which is not a good sign for the quality of the pr
17) Freshers are hired and directly given test cases and are asked to
+execute.No company nor these freshers worry that they should understa
+nd the domain/technology before they get hands on something.
18) I am a tester by virtue and not by profession.Every other team mem
+ber wants to jump to development or something else soon.
19) All interviews in india today for testing has one question in comm
+on "why do you like testing and will you be in testing for a long tim
+e ?" Gosh ! look at the poor state of my virtue.
You people have seen more than me so would have better views , please excuse me if anything was wrong because I am naive :-D.