For 2006 Q1, only one grant was approved, but it's fantastic. Nicholas Clark is going to spend some time fixing some long-standing issues with Perl 5. Way to go, Nicholas!
Some issues which will be resolved:
- Fix bugs affecting Unicode handling, Class::DBI, Tk and PAR.
- Allow relocatable Perl installations, which permits developers to distribute applications complete with a bundled Perl.
- Support source filters as part of code references in @INC
- Complete lexical pragmas, a milestone on the way to 5.10
- Further memory saving for 5.10 - previous work saved >33% for hashes and arrays
- Merge Larry's p5-p6 work into core, which will allow others to start contributing to it.
See the Perl Foundation blog for more information.