apl has asked for the wisdom of the Perl Monks concerning the following question:
Are those of you who are self-employed (in the U.S.) self-incorporated? If so,
- what type of corporation did you form?
- Is it really as easy as the NJ Department of Labor makes it seem, or did you hire a lawyer to do your incorporation?
- Do you pay yourself a (small) salary and take the bulk of your pay as a corporate dividend?
- What (beside the obvious -- separate checking account in the name of the corporation, post office box for the corporation, separate room in your home as an office) did you do to establish yourself formally?
- Can you actually deduct the cost of commuting, lunch, buying relevant books or software, as corporate expenses?
- Did you need an accountant to file your corporate taxes?
I don't plan on getting more than one or two gigs a year if that, but neither do I want to get audited.
TIA for sharing how to take this first, scarey step.