|Perl Monk, Perl Meditation|
Re: I'm thankful for my jobby BMaximus (Chaplain)
|on Apr 29, 2001 at 05:04 UTC||Need Help??|
While I was using the post hole digger (for four hours) I had a chance to reflect on my current projects. It was amazing. I had such a clarity of thought on some problems that I need to overcome.
<EXTREME PHILOSOPHIC MODE>
Sometimes we find problems we need to solve to be the most difficult when were under the gun to produce. Your sitting at your desk, in front of your computer, wondering how your going to solve the problem. The answer is there yet you can't get it out. Its like a word on the tip of your toungue, and your trying hard to get it out.
Have you ever noticed that the harder you try when your in that position the farther away the answer is from you? You sit there stewing about it thinking that the answer will come to you. But the longer you do it, the more frustraited you get. I believe thats this the equivalent of writers' block. I guess we can call it coder's block. We can't seem to get the answers out. But when we go and do something else. Usualy something physical like working in the yard, going for a walk or (yes some do do this) workout. The answer comes to us and 90% of the time we feel enlightened. The other 10% we slap our foreheads and say "Now why didn't I think of that earlier?!".
I believe that when you do something physical and your not programing you tend to relax more and let things go. When your relaxed, answers come easier.
</EXTREME PHILOSOPHIC MODE>
My Medition Today: When do we know that we find our calling? Does it scream at us, or is it silently there all the while?
I had always been in to computers. Ever since I had my first computer (an Apple 2c). I knew I was good but it wasn't what I wanted to make a career out of. I went to college to be a Veterinarian. It didn't work out so well. Went to electronics next. That was ok, but it wasn't what I wanted. All through that I was building and fixing computers for others. I believe I'm very good at what I do. I like what I do and enjoy "Playing G-d on the computer". But I don't think this is my calling. I more or less gave in to the fact that I could do it and do it well. I believe my calling is something else and that this is just a step to it. I don't believe I know everything there is to know in programing. I'm always learning new things and meeting new people. That's what I enjoy the most about coding.