1. I'm not sure why you have different headings and TOC entries
why not simply
<h3>Chapter 1 - Basics: Para & Code markup</h3> for both?
2. Your anchors are manually designed too, while those generated by my script should be safe.
Whats the issue? Length?
The benefit of long anchors is that they could later be easily expanded to text again.
3. IMHO you should convert sub-headings to <h4> to get proper nesting. (like this )
4. Your example headings like <h6> can be excluded by either
5. See also the way I'm back-linking to the TOC here: Re^2: TOCs and deeplinks for our house rules to facilitate navigation
6. Also switching <ul> to <dl> is an option, if needed.²
I can adapt my script to different needs if the monastery comes to a consensus.
Long time goal could hopefully be to add something like <toc> to our markup toolset to simplify the process.
*) this has multiple advantages.
²) IMHO depends on desired CSS features