This is actually how we're handling the new code review process at my current client, and its worked pretty well. They didn't have any processes before and now are trying to get things in line. We also expand on the "only the stuff we need to touch" philosophy and developers take the initiative to fix up a function/page and get it up to snuff if they're already reworking a majority (like 70%) of the function/page. This ends up being a judgement call depending on the impact of changing the other 30%, but works to expand our "good code" into regions that might not otherwise get it. Its not a perfect solution, but it seems like a reasonable balance that helps to ease everyone, including management, into the process. The nice thing is we're moving forward w/o turning a 15min change into a 3hr burden; which tends to lessen the $$$ impact that management sees.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||