comes with SciTE
, a lot of free text editors are based on the Scintilla text editing widget, take notepad++
for example, so naturally, I gave it a spin. A short list of what I like and what I miss, though for the latter maybe I just haven't found it yet:
What I like:
- good syntax highlighter for Perl
- brace/bracket/parens balance matching
- invoking external tools (i.e. perl) and capturing its STDOUT and STDERR
- block folding
What I miss:
- Sticky indents, I prefer the next line to automatically indent on the same column position as the previous line. A tab entry should indent one more position, a backspace should outdent to the previous indentation level. Just for clarity: it doesn't do that.
- block indent and outdent: select multiple lines and indent/outdent them with one button or menu click
There probably are more points worthy to be added, but I haven't noticed them yet. After all, I've only been using this editor on and off for a few weeks.
One thing's for sure: it doesn't bond with the Perl debugger, so if that's a make or break point for you, you can safely skip this editor.
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||