in reply to Don't go all PerlMonks on me
From the sound of things, you did exactly what she asked for.
- You didn't belittle her for not knowing what you know.
- You didn't suggest a solution that involve changing the inputs to the problem, or changing the problem to suit a solution you knew.
- You didn't preach to her about CPAN, or POD, or perldoc, or Supersearch.
- You didn't berate her coding style, variable names, tab settings or editor choices.
- You didn't assume that because you didn't understand her problem, that she was tackling the wrong one.
You gave a working solution to her immediate problem, that along the way, demonstrated the power of the 'use CPAN' mantra,
... without going all PerlMonks on her.
And you have left her to learn the lessons of your demonstration, in her own time and her own way. Nice one++.