in reply to Some Help for a Report About Perl
Another distinctive aspect of Perl worthy of mention is its support for one-liners.
I'm not aware of any other language that comes close to the power and convenience of Perl when writing quick one liners from the command line. Even people who switch from Perl to Python still fall back on Perl when writing one liners.
Perl One-liner References
- Peter Krumins one-liners
- Peter Krumins, Famous Perl One-Liners Explained
- Perl One-Liners: 130 Programs That Get Things Done (O'Reilly book by Peteris Krumins)
- Perl Command-Line Options (perl.com article from 2004 by davorg)
- FMTYEWTK About Mass Edits in Perl (perl.com article from 2004 by Geoff Broadwell)
- merlyn's first unix review column (from 1995!)
- Cultured Perl: One-liners 101
- Cultured Perl: One-liners 102
- Hot Perl oneliners
- YAPC::NA 2008 talk on Perl one liners by Walt Mankowski
- joyrexus one liners
- mishapeters one liners
- Harvard one liners
- oracle blog one-liners
- Re: One Liners
- Re: Scriptome and Perl One-Liners
- Perl White Magic - Special Variables and Command Line Switches
- A gentle introduction/tutorial to the perl command line flags.
- What one-liners do people actually use?
- what are some of the most powerful, complex, one-liners?