in reply to What are the business needs from Perl
Please let me know what I should learn in Perl, besides the fundamentals in Learning Perl and Perl Cookbook.
To make some bullet-points about "what to learn" I would start with this list:
- Also read (cover to cover) Programming Perl - it is the definitive guide to the language itself.
- REGULAR EXPRESSIONS!!!
- Learn how to install CPAN modules
- Learn how to write CPAN modules
- Unit Testing
- object-oriented design
- Linux - the basics
- Database programming and design
- 3rd normalized form
- Network Programming Basics
- difference between TCP and UDP
- difference between a socket and a filehandle
- multi-threaded programming
- event-based programming
- publish/subscribe pattern (aka the "observer" pattern)
It would also be worth familiarizing yourself with what are known as "Design Patterns" since knowing them will help you articulate (in code) what you are trying to accomplish.