in reply to Adjusting encoding for files

I don't want to know the hoops that the CPU went through to translate this file. All I know is that I didn't have to go through those hoops myself.

Nice story, but those CPU hoops, they don't amount to very much:

C:\test>dir messages.js 20/12/2012 23:59 46,803 messages.js C:\test>crc32 messages.js 91c9dc22 C:\test>perl -nE"ord()>127 and print for split'', $_" messages.js C:\test>perl -e "open $fh, '<:encoding(iso88591)', 'messages.js'; $/=u +ndef; $f = <$fh>; open $out, '>:utf8', 'messages.js.utf8'; print $out + $f;" C:\test>dir messages.* 20/12/2012 23:59 46,803 messages.js 21/12/2012 00:04 46,803 messages.js.utf8 C:\test>perl -nE"ord()>127 and print for split'', $_" messages.js.utf8 C:\test>crc32 messages.js.utf8 91c9dc22

With the rise and rise of 'Social' network sites: 'Computers are making people easier to use everyday'
Examine what is said, not who speaks -- Silence betokens consent -- Love the truth but pardon error.
"Science is about questioning the status quo. Questioning authority".
In the absence of evidence, opinion is indistinguishable from prejudice.

RIP Neil Armstrong

Replies are listed 'Best First'.
Re^2: Adjusting encoding for files
by Tanktalus (Canon) on Dec 21, 2012 at 04:09 UTC

    Well, the problem is apparently where you have no characters above 127, because as long as all characters are ordinal less than 128, their encoding doesn't change either in number or in length between utf8 and any other non-ebcdic encoding.

    I've "lost" the original file because the updated file is checked in, so I recreated it as *.iso, and I get:

    $ perl -nE'ord()>127 and print for split"",$_' *iso | wc -c 32
    So, 32 characters with accents or what have you putting its ordinal above 127.
    $ ls -l messages.js.* -rw-r--r-- 1 tanktalus tanktalus 2490 Dec 20 20:57 messages.js.iso -rw-r--r-- 1 tanktalus tanktalus 2522 Dec 20 20:58 messages.js.utf8
    And because they're above 127, when converting to utf8, they'll expand to multiple bytes. In this case, all 32 bytes expand to precisely two bytes (though I think some characters in other languages can be three or four bytes each):
    $ perl -nE'ord()>127 and print for split"",$_' *utf8 | wc -c 64
    If we were in the situation you gave, there would have been no issue. For all pure-English text (not counting things from other languages, such as "Hawaï" or "déjà vu"), ISO-8859* and UTF8 are bit-for-bit identical. It's only the characters that have separate binary representations between ISO8859* (in this case -1, as that's the encoding most commonly used for French prior to UTF8 taking over) and UTF-8 that caused a problem that had to be resolved, and I used perl to do so.