in reply to (Ovid) Re: (jjhorner)Re: (Ovid) Re: DBD::Oracle issues
in thread DBD::Oracle issues
As for the compile, this is on an NT box, so we just used install DBD::Oracle from the ppm command line.
Here's the full story. I thought I could get by with a focused instance, but it appears not:
We had a site developer trying to connect to an Oracle database and draw out some information from a table. He was getting an error similar to the one above. Almost word-for-word, actually. We copied his code, specifically his 'use DBI' line and his DBI connect statement, including the authentication stuff. When we put it into our own script in another area, without anonymous access turned on, and without our anonymous user having NTFS permissions, it worked, after we authenticated. When we looked at his again, it didn't work. We put our script in his area, and it didn't work. We turned off anonymous access, and after login, it worked. I'm not an NT expert. I'd prefer to use Apache, mod_perl, and Linux any day, and twice on Sundays, but this is not my box. This does, however, appear to be an NTFS permission, possibly regarding the anonymous user and the rights of the anonymous user somewhere inside perl or orant directories. We've temporarily awarded full control to the anonymous user and, to be sure, the Everyone group. Still, no love.
We have a script that gives us clues as to where things occur. We 'use DBI;', print out some html code, and say something along the lines of "Starting to connect to database...". Then try to connect to the database with uid, passwd, etc. This allows our developers to get a better idea of where things are failing. When I say developers, I mean site developers, not really hard-core perl people. We did do things by the book, at first, but as things have progressed, we have tried to distill the problem a bit, and this is really what you see. Thanks,
J. J. Horner Linux, Perl, Apache, Stronghold, Unix firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.knoxlug.org/