I'm desiging my personal academic webpage, and since the new paradigma is the complete separation of content from style, I decided that's the way I will go.
What I want to achieve is an XML/XSL architecture similar to the one as explained on the Nun.Mu.Shu
page. However, that site uses a Java/CoCoon/Tomcat/Xalan/Apache
framework, whereas I would prefer a LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/Perl) solution.
This has obviously be done before, but I have to admit that I've really lost my way in the forest of Template::Toolkit
and similar other modules. For the moment I don't see which one sticks with head and shoulders above the rest, or which one is extremely suited to my case.
So, what are my design briefs:
- Pages in XHTML should be generated on the fly
- I want to store my data as much as possible as flat file texts in a MySQL database
- Part of my website is quite static (About me, CV, online presentation of my thesis), other parts should be dynamically served (blog, literature database, CGI frontend for a webapplication I wrote)
So, how do I start on this one?
- Can you provide me with some step by step tutorials of how to proceed (first make a DTD? Or the XSLT,...?)
- Given my design briefs, what module do you think is most appropriate? I don't need a fullblown ContentManagmentSystem with lots of whistles and bells, I've already decided on the layout and want to stick to that.
Hope you can point me in the rigth direction.
Are you posting in the right place? Check out Where do I post X? to know for sure.
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags. Currently these include the following:
<code> <a> <b> <big>
<blockquote> <br /> <dd>
<dl> <dt> <em> <font>
<h1> <h2> <h3> <h4>
<h5> <h6> <hr /> <i>
<li> <nbsp> <ol> <p>
<small> <strike> <strong>
<sub> <sup> <table>
<td> <th> <tr> <tt>
Snippets of code should be wrapped in
<code> tags not
<pre> tags. In fact, <pre>
tags should generally be avoided. If they must
be used, extreme care should be
taken to ensure that their contents do not
have long lines (<70 chars), in order to prevent
horizontal scrolling (and possible janitor
Want more info? How to link or
or How to display code and escape characters
are good places to start.