My primary motivation for participating at Perl Monks is:
- Anticipated reciprocity - I'm motivated to contribute valuable information in the expectation that I'll receive useful help and information in return.
- Recognition - I want to receive recognition for my contributions, aka Egoboo, and so become an Internet celebrity (like the LanX :).
- Sense of efficacy - I contribute valuable information because this results in a sense of efficacy, that is, a sense that I'm capable of achieving my desired outcome.
- Sense of community - I am a social being, motivated by receiving direct responses to my contributions.
- Self-discovery - I want to develop new perspectives on myself.
- Personal influence - I want to become more powerful by influencing others, and so become a member of a perceived global upper-class.
- Enjoyment - It entertains and amuses me to play with and interact with other monks.
See also these two previous polls: