UPDATE: if selected for publication, I strongly urge adding Tux' contribution (System V, right after Fortran listing) and both of davies' (between the APL book and Kernighan&Richie to maintain chronology of pub dates). I'm not doing it here to maintain the integrity (and missed opportunities) of this node.
The oldest computer book (still) on my shelves or on my digital media is ...
- A Programming Language, 1962, Iverson
- The C Programming Language, 1978, Kernighan & Ritchie
- Z80 Asembly Language Programming, 1979, Leventhal
- TheSOURCE User's Manual, 1979, n/a (Extra points for the brown, 3-ring-binder edition)
- The C Primer, 1983, Hancock & Kreiger
- Interactive Fortran 77, 1984, A Hands on Approach Chivers & Sleightholme
- Turbo-Pascal - 1991 Edition, 1992, Savitch
- Perl.1 man page, 1991, Wall (a re-organized web version of the "perl.1" man page
for PERL version 4: extra points for docs for Perl v. 1, 2 or 3. )