in reply to Locate missing number in a series
You are looking for the disjunction between the set of all lockers and the set of rented lockers. So, in pseudo code is one way:
- I have an array of lockers, 1 .. 24, initialized to zeroes
- I have a database containing information
- Loop: Read a Record from the DB
- If the locker-id is present, set the value in my locker-array to 1.
- Go to Loop: until you exhaust the DB.
- scan the locker-array, if the value of the i-th element is 0, print the index (i).
- Turn the result into your Teacher, you have completed the assignment in a FORTRANly fashion.
I Go Back to Sleep, Now.