When will Perl 6 be released? We can't know. Fortunately, the people involved are more concerned about quality than speed.
This makes room for speculation. Some think Perl 6 will never be finished, but most people have a more realistic view. Will it be June, next year? Is it not going to be released the next three years? Maybe you think they've been coding it secretly, and that Perl 6 is going to be out tomorrow? Or are you completely unaware of Parrot's developments, and think it'll take at least another 18 years?
On what day do you think Perl 6 will be released?
- The perl6 interpreter that is found in Parrot's CVS tree does not count :)
- Beta versions, alpha versions, release candidates don't count, we're looking for the first final release
- Answer in YYYY-MM-DD (updated! Thanks, blakem) format,
to avoid confusion(2020-06-12 is June 12, 2020)
- UTC will be used
- No, you can't win anything with this :)
- Don't cheat by updating your node. I'm too lazy to check it :)
To help you, this is what has been said about the subject:
- Larry intends to produce "one Apocalypse for each Chapter [of the camel3]". The average time between Apocalypses has been 3 or 4 months. Let's be kind and cut the length of the Camel from 33 chapters to 20 chapters. Extrapolating that out and you get a finished design somewhere between 2006 and 2008.
-- Matts, use Perl;
- I don't really care, because I will surely be long deceased before
-- Luke Palmer, Perl6 Summary for the week ending 20020728
- February 17, 2004 at 13:42 GMT. ;) Okay, no. :) But the current estimates of 12-18 months sound pretty reasonable, especially with the progress we've seen in Parrot.
-- Allison Randal, This Week on Perl 6 (8 - 14 Jul 2002)
- 1 year
-- Josef höök, This week on Perl 6 (week ending 2002-08-04)
- In about 2 years, then ready for production use in a further year.
-- Dave Mitchell, This week on Perl 6 (week ending 2002-08-11)
- Put me down for June 6, 2003, 1:37:03 am EST.
-- Miko O'Sullivan, This week on Perl 6 (8/26 - 9/1, 2002)
- By Christmas.
-- Damian Conway, This week on Perl 6 (9/9 - 9/15, 2002)
- Sooner than most people think.
-- Leo Brocard, This week on Perl 6 (9/16 - 9/22, 2002)
- Sooner than we all think. Later than I want.
-- Piers Cawly, This week on Perl 6 (9/23 - 9/29, 2002)
- The design phase of Perl 6 is supposed to be completed by the end of 2001 and the software is scheduled to be released sometime in mid 2002.
-- Unknown, LWN
- Perl creator Larry Wall announced that Perl 6-a complete rewrite-will be released in late 2001 or early 2002.
-- Larry Wall (Quote from Chris Preimesberger), O'Reilly Open Source Convention
My entry: 2003-07-05
Good luck! :)