Basically, the binary chop means
- Comment out the top half of the code
Compile -- has the error gone away?
- Yes -- It is in the top half of the program.
So now uncomment the second quarter. Did it come back?
- Yes. It is in that second quarter.
Uncomment the first half and the 3rd eight of the code. Is it still there?
- Yes. ....
- No. ....
- No. It must be in the first quarter
So uncomment the second eigth....
- No. So the error must be in the bottom half of the program.
So uncomment the first half and comment out the 3rd quarter.
Compile -- did the error go away?
- Yes, It's in the 3rd quarter.
So uncomment the 6th eigth of the code.
Compile -- did it come back?
- Yes ... Its in the 6th eigth.
- No ... Its in the 5th eight.
- No ... its in the 4th quarter....
Damn! That was tedious to type. And probably equally tedious to read for anyone who already knows it, but... I typed it now so there:)
Examine what is said, not who speaks.
"Efficiency is intelligent laziness." -David Dunham
"When I'm working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong." -Richard Buckminster Fuller