My Google experience was somewhat different. Entering "Perl tutorial" as a phrase, I only had 195,000 hits. I checked out the first 21 (I'd have stopped at 20, but the last page was in German so I continued to the next English-language page).
More about makefiles than Perl.
- Not found.
- Outdated tutorial for Perl 4
- Perl 4 tutorial.
- Not horrible, but uses some deprecated code.
- Last update was in 1999
- Discusses Perl 5.6.0; written in 2001
- Dated 1999
- Dates to 2000
- Dated 1999 – discusses how to work with RSS
- Discusses how to select the correct database
- Author states, “…I’m not an expert with Perl”.
- Gave me a blank page when I tried to access this link.
- Discusses Perl 5.005
- Referenced page did not have the word “Perl” on it; search options did not return any hits for “Perl”.
- Tutorial from 1995.
- This was a page linking to sites purporting to teach Perl; did not have any information about Perl on the page itself.
- Decent tutorial for someone who knows some programming. Not for the complete novice.
- German-language page that I cannot evaluate.
- Link to Perl.com!
Almost all these links were useless, especially to a complete newbie to programming. The only ones that seemed good were the ones to PerlMonks and perl.com, and #19. Numbers 5 and 7 weren't altogether useless. Overall, only 25% of these sites appeared to be helpful. The rest were not (IMNSHO).