Am I a LAMP programmer?
Linux, Apache, Mysql, Perl.....
90% of my work for years now has been:
- have a hosting account set up on a *nix box running Apache
- design and create a Mysql database to house the project's data
- the data is in a text file, so write a Perl script to parse the file and populate the db
- write Perl cgi-scripts for the interace buttons or forms to call
- the Perl uses DBI to query/insert/whatever the Mysql database
- using a templating tool, Perl dynamically outputs results, either in a report or as more UI pages directing user to further refined queries
- other optional output formats generated by Perl scripts: as Excel spreadsheet using WriteExcel, as RTF for printing
- report may be output as a datastream to a client-side VBA application for auto-generation of Microsoft documents (Word, Excel, PPT) - all VBA also of my creation.
I'm not the server admin - just a user.
So - am I?
Forget that fear of gravity,
Get a little savagery in your life.