|We don't bite newbies here... much|
I've tried Term::ReadLine::Zoid and also Term::ReadLine::Perl. The Zoid variant installs without a hitch but isn't picked up by the Perl debugger (though perldoc perldebug suggests otherwise). Arrows are just escape sequences. The Perl variant fails to install with ReadKey.c: loadable library and perl binaries are mismatched (got handshake key 0xc180000, needed 0xd700000). Oops?
But then: I was pretty sure that I didn't have that problem under Debian Jessie, for none of the gazillions of XS modules I tend to collect over time. And indeed: I could fire up an old image of mine, and all is fine from Perl 5.10.1 to Perl 5.30.0.
However, my usual suspect right now isn't the Debian version, but rather some perlbrew, or maybe perlbrew plus cpanm issue on my current system. These are the symptoms as given by the debugger on p \%INC:
On the old desktop, for Perl 5.10:
On the new desktop:
So, while the old desktop kept the Perl version in the path and therefore each of the Gnu libraries separate, the new desktop doesn't - and therefore the installation processes clobber each other's files. Maybe I goofed up when installing perlbrew and should start over again...
I've no concrete info about your extended question but only vague memories that the command history in the debugger just worked... after setting TERM=dumb, most probably with Term::ReadLine::Gnu because I think that my habit to install that module dates back to my Windows times.