Expressing a thought or an opinion is fine. Desirable even, but when you post in the Monastery, you should be prepared to get answers from people that agree, and from people that (violently) disagree.
I tend to up-vote posts that
- Add to the discussion (in the widest range, both technical and social)
- Make me think
- Make me want to post a reply (even if I eventually don't because the answer I wanted to post was already given or my answer would be inappropriate)
I tend to down-vote posts that
- Add nothing whatsoever to a discussion
- Reply with no useful info to threads older than 6 months
- Are just complaints (and do not make me think or laugh like posts to hates-software)
I never down-vote Anonymous Monk. It's useless. I sometimes up-vote Anonymous Monk if the answer is extremely to-the-point and correct. I rather use my votes for named monks, but I think Anonymous Monk should stay!
FWIW I am with DrHyde here.
Enjoy, Have FUN! H.Merijn
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||