Shocked look? Hardly. I work for a tier 1 automotive supplier in their "Technology Development" group, incharge of developing new projects within our current platforms, and I'm one of two with a CS degree, except for our manager, and he probably hasn't written a line of code for about 7 years. When I start talking about passing pointers, scope and polymorphism, everyone gets that blank stare that roughly equates too "I know everything you just said was english, but I'm sorry, most of it didn't register as having any meaning."
It's frustrating, really. I work really hard to set a good example to those in the group coming from MIS and that think VB is the end all be all of the programming lingua franca (Not that I have a problem with VB, use it myself sometimes, but...). Things like:
- Use good structure, for others would like to read it.
- - Use comments, for others would like to understand it.
- - Have others read your code, for none of us are infallible
- - Please, ask questions, as we know more as a group than we do singularly
But it doesn't always stick. *sigh*
Edit: chipmunk 2001-05-20
Posts are HTML formatted. Put <p> </p> tags around your paragraphs. Put <code> </code> tags around your code and data!
Titles consisting of a single word are discouraged, and in most cases are disallowed outright.
Read Where should I post X? if you're not absolutely sure you're posting in the right place.
Please read these before you post! —
Posts may use any of the Perl Monks Approved HTML tags:
You may need to use entities for some characters, as follows. (Exception: Within code tags, you can put the characters literally.)
- a, abbr, b, big, blockquote, br, caption, center, col, colgroup, dd, del, div, dl, dt, em, font, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, hr, i, ins, li, ol, p, pre, readmore, small, span, spoiler, strike, strong, sub, sup, table, tbody, td, tfoot, th, thead, tr, tt, u, ul, wbr
Link using PerlMonks shortcuts! What shortcuts can I use for linking?
See Writeup Formatting Tips and other pages linked from there for more info.
| & || & |
| < || < |
| > || > |
| [ || [ |
| ] || ] ||